Human Rights Lawyers in Kitchener-Waterloo
The protection of human rights is a fundamental pillar of Canadian society. Laws protecting people from discrimination and requiring equal treatment in employment are embedded in a collection of provincial and territorial human rights legislation and under the Canadian Human Rights Act for federally regulated workplaces.
The Ontario Human Rights Code is designed to protect employees in the workplace. It prohibits discrimination on the grounds of:
- Ancestry, colour, race, or creed
- Citizenship, ethnic origin, or place of origin
- Family status or marital status (including single status)
- Gender identity or gender expression
- Record of offences (in employment only)
- Sex (including pregnancy and breastfeeding) and sexual orientation
What You Need To Know
- Human rights remedies compensate employees for lost wages but also damages for injury to dignity, feelings, and self-respect
- In certain circumstances, damages for human rights violations can also be awarded by our courts. It is important to understand the remedies available to you when deciding whether to bring a lawsuit or pursue your human rights claim before a human rights administrative tribunal
- There are usually shorter limitation periods which affect your ability to pursue a human rights claim after a period of time. It is important to get advice early on to determine if your case has merit
Get Informed: “Sex Sells” is not an Exclusion under the Ontario Human Rights Code: The OHRC Policy Position on Sexualized Dress Codes
Do You Need An Employment Lawyer?
If you believe you have been subjected to unfair treatment based on a protected status, or have been given notice of termination and believe it’s due to one of these factors, it is wise to speak to an employment lawyer who knows the ins and outs of Canadian human rights law.
The team at Morrison Reist Krauss can help by:
- Advising you on the best course of action
- Communicating with your employer
- Negotiating with your employer to work out a reasonable resolution
- Litigating through the courts or appropriate human rights tribunals/boards if necessary
Contact Morrison Reist Krauss to start the conversation today.
Call today: 519.576.5351 or Toll Free: 1.800.354.5723